Sunday, December 12, 2010

Loving this Cookie

I'll admit it, I am a Top Chef junkie.  While I don't particularly care for the reality-show drama aspect of the show, the rest is just juicy!  The folks in the t.v. have taken note of my obsession and have lined up all kinds of goodies to keep me coming back.  After the regular ol' Top Chef season ended, a new version: Top Chef Just Desserts started up.  Wa-hoo!  Then, after that season ended, another season emerged: Top Chef All-Stars.  Are you kidding me?!  The people in the t.v. have been good to me this past few months.  Three seasons of my show, back to back with enough tweaking to keep it interesting.  Yes!!!!
I started watching the show because I love picking up cooking tips.  In reality, there is no way I would ever make any of the dishes they create on that show.  Not only do I not have the funds to buy their obscure ingredients, I hardly know what the heck it is they are talking about.  I actually heard one guy refer to the few sprigs of grass on his plate as a "salad".  So imagine my excitement when, while looking through the ridiculous number of blogs I follow, I saw a recipe from Eric of Top Chef Just Desserts for his chocolate chip cookie.  And it looked reasonable! 
So guess what I did this evening.....
I usually am not drawn to thin, crispy looking cookies.  I like my chocolate chip cookies chewy with a barely crispy outer layer- but not raw in the center.  Picky, picky.  When I saw a picture of these cookies I was not immediately sold, and I went for it anyway.  The result?  I will always make this as MY chocolate chip cookie.  It is amazing.  I love it.  It is also not intended to support one at weight loss.  You probably assumed that since they are labeled "cookie", I just don't want you to be shocked when you read how much butter is in this recipe.







The end result is a bunch of amazingness:
Here is the recipe, adapted from Vanilla Sugar blog:

3 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp salt (I used the kosher, the larger pieces made for a nice flavor)
2 eggs + 2 yolks
21oz high quality chocolate chips (I used half a bag of hershey's semi-sweet and half a bag Guittard milk chips)


Melt butter, cool slightly.
Paddle sugars with melted butter.
Whisk together dry ingredients.
Add eggs slowly.
Add flour, mix, add chips.
Bake at 325 for 14 min or until golden brown. 

**No need to flatten these before they cook, they do it well on their own.  I just used a regular ice cream  scoop to measure my dough sizes.

This is the most important part!!!
Don't let yourself eat more than 2 (at the very most!) at a time, you will feel like you ate 20- I speak from experience  :o/

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, that is a lot of butter! I'm like you when it comes to chocolate chip cookies, but I just may have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete